If you are planning to migrate, study, or work abroad, you will be required to take the IELTS exam. This exam is acceptable to any institution or school. It assesses your abilities in listening, reading, writing, and speaking in less than three hours. You will take the reading, writing, and speaking tests without any breaks. They will provide you with a schedule for the speaking test within the week of your exam. In the Philippines, the test costs Php10, 680.00, and is valid for two years.
There are two types of exams: the academic and the general test. The school or institution will inform you what kind of test you should take. You can choose to take a computer-based or paper-based exam. There are 40 questions for listening, reading, and writing tests. Here are some helpful tips to help you pass the exam:
How To Prepare For The Exam
- Find out the test format. You can learn about it here:
- Enrolling to an IELTS review class is optional, but can also be helpful, especially if you have no idea about the exam.
- The test lasts for 2 hours and 45 minutes, so make sure to eat and sleep well.
- Wear comfortable clothing. You can bring a sweater with you as the room can be cold.
- You can take a drink with you as long as it is in a transparent bottle.
- Do not be late because you will not be allowed to enter the testing room.
- There will be no breaks in between tests, so make sure you enter the toiled before taking the exam.
- No electronic gadgets are allowed.
- You will be required to bring two (2) pieces of #2 pencils.
- Check with your testing center what acceptable ID’s to bring.
- It is crucial to listen carefully to the instructions.
- You are not allowed to bring your watch inside the testing room.
- Focus and be calm.
- Take a couple of practice tests before the exam date. It will help you prepare for the possible test questions.
Things You Should Not Do
- Do not CHEAT.
- Bringing a dictionary is not allowed.
- Do not take the test paper at home.
- You are not allowed to continue writing if the invigilator tells you to stop. Doing so can invalidate your test.
Things To Remember During The Listening Test
- Make sure your headphone is working or you can hear the recording. If not, raise your hand and inform the invigilator.
- Read through all the questions before the recording starts.
- Focus on listening for answers.
- Write your answers on the paper while you listen.
- Make sure you know how many words you need for the answer.
- The test allows you 10 minutes to transfer your answer to the answer sheet.
Things To Remember During The Reading Test
- Read the instruction carefully and take note of how many words you can use for an answer.
- Move on to the next question of you find it hard to answer. You can go back when you have time.
- Be mindful of the time.
- Write your answers directly on the answer sheet. You will not be given extra time to transfer it to the sheet.
- Analyze the questions first and look out for paraphrasing.
Things To Remember During The Writing Test
- Spend only 20 minutes for the writing Task 1 and 40 minutes for task 2.
- The test requires over 150 words for Task 1 and 520 words for Task 2.
- Count the lines instead of words. One line is usually about 10 words.
- Plan your essay on the question paper.
- Write a clear overview of task 1. Do not forget to write a conclusion for task 2.
- Organize your writing into body paragraphs for all the writing tasks.
- It is important to check your spelling.
- The information you provide should be relevant, concise, and clear.
- You can ask for an extra paper if you run out of paper.
Things To Remember During The Speaking Test
- Practice speaking English before your test.
- Be friendly, spontaneous, and confident.
- Answer the questions directly and add more information to your answers.
- Use proper and various grammar tenses when you answer.
- Make sure you utter the words clearly. Use words that are easy to understand.
- Do not be ashamed to ask the question again if you have not heard it.
If you are looking to apply for a passport, my comprehensive guide will help you.