In the Philippines, we have a legal document that’s required of any citizen for multiple purposes. It’s what we call, NBI Clearance. An NBI clearance is often a requirement by employees or government organizations to verify the identity of the person.
What is an NBI Clearance?
It’s a document containing relevant information about the person’s identity as well as their criminal historical background. It is not just any document, but, it’s a valid document for identification. Government and commercial institutions accept these documents because it states the person’s information as well as a means to quickly check for the person’s criminal history if any.
Why do you need an NBI clearance?
- For identification purposes
- Local employment
- Modification of legal Documents
- Travel Purposes
Where to get an NBI Clearance?
You can get an NBI clearance from the National Bureau of Investigation office by applying in the online portal ( https://clearance.nbi.gov.ph/).
What are the requirements?
You need to present two (2) valid government ID’s only. Here’s a list of all the accepted government ID’s:
- PhilSys ID or Philippine National ID
- UMID or SSS ID
- PRC Card
- Birth Certificate authenticated by PSA
- Voter’s ID or Certificate of Registration
- TIN ID (BIR)
- PhilHealth ID
- PAG-IBIG ID (Not the Loyalty Card)
- Driver’s License
- Postal ID
- School ID together with current Registration Card
- Alien Certificate of Registration
- Senior Citizen ID
- Police Clearance issued by Police Station where the applicant is resident of the Station’s Jurisdiction
- Certification from the Local Civil Registrar
- Certification From Malacanang in connection with Indigenous Groups, Tribal Membership, Foundling
- Solo Parent ID
- Company ID for Government Employees
- Seaman’s Book and SIRV
In addition, all these ID’s must be original, in good condition, a clear photo of the owner, and that the ID must not be expired. It is also important to note that you need to seek online appointment first through the web portal.
Here’s a step-by-step tutorial:
- Apply online by creating an account here: https://clearance.nbi.gov.ph/
- Click agree when prompted about the Data Privacy Content
- Click Close when an advisory pops up
- Register a New Account and fill in all the pertinent information
- Tick the checkbox where it says “Read and accept Terms of Service”
- Hit “Agree” when a Register prompt pops up
- Hit Sign Up and then a One-Time-Password (OTP) will be sent to yout mobile number. Just type it in.
- After creating your account, you have to login and start filling out the information
- Once you are DONE, just click NEXT for the Online Appointment.
- To start your appointment, click on Apply Clearance.
- Select what type of ID and the ID number you are going to present to the NBI during your appointment
- Hit Next and choose an NBI Branch for your appointment
- You will then choose the date and time of your appointment
- Choose a payment option: Bank Over the Counter, Online Bank, Bayad Center Outlets, Bayad Center Mobile App, ECPay, Gcash and Seven Eleven.
- Once you’ve chosen your preferred payment, you wil be given a reference number. Please take note of this as you need to present the number during your appointment to the NBI Branch.
- Settle your NBI Clearance Fee. Once settlesd, you can wait for your appointment date.
The NBI Clearance FEE is Php 130.00 plus a charge of 25.00 depending on what payment option you choose. Furthermore, the NBI clearance is valid for one (1) year.
What do I do during the appointment date?
- Bring your Valid ID’s and the reference number of your appointment.
- Proceed to the Biometric and Image Capture area.
- If you are not “HIT”, your clearance will be printed the same day. However, if you are “HIT”, you will have to wait a few more days as further background checking is needed. You will be informed when you can return to get your NBI clearance.
I hope I have covered all your questions about obtaining an NBI clearance. Check out more of my tips and guides HERE.