Many of us are now watching Korean dramas on Netflix. Some of you may like their lifestyle, the food they eat and maybe their culture. In fact, you’ll see lots of Korean restaurants in every place now, but how can you eat in a certain restaurant if our environment is suffering from this pandemic? Well, we have a solution for you, because I’m going to share with you how to do Samgyeopsal at home. It’s cheaper, safer, and an enjoyable way of eating outside your home.
Samgyeop-sal means 3-layer flesh of lean meat and fat of the pork belly that seemed like a layer’s cut. In Korea, Samgyeop-sal refers to “pork belly” and Samgyeop-sal-gui refers to “grilled pork belly”. Below this, I will be sharing with you my own way of making Samgyeop-sal at home.
Serves 3-5 persons.
- 1 kilo of Pork belly (preferably bacon sliced)
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 3 pcs. lemon
- Samjang sauce
- Rice (optional)
- Marinate the pork belly using the lemon, garlic and salt. Just mixed it all together.
- Wash the lettuce and put it on a strainer or you can put it on any plate.
- Put the kimchi on a separate bowl, this will serve as your side dish.
- If you want some rice, you can also have this on a separate plate.
- Prepare the indoor griller you have. Put some oil and heat.
- When the griller is already hot, you can now put the marinated pork belly on it and wait until it’s cooked. To know if it’s already cooked, the pork belly will turn into golden brown.
Note: If you don’t have an indoor griller, you can use a non-stick pan for cooking the pork belly. You can check out Shopee or Lazada if you want to purchase non-stick pans or indoor griller and have it delivered right at your doorstep hassle-free.
How to eat Samgyeopsal?
- Get one lettuce and place it on your palm.
- Add a small amount of rice on top of the lettuce.
- Add a bit of Samjang sauce.
- Put a little bit of kimchi.
- Add one Samgyeop-sal strip on it.
- Fold the sides of the lettuce, just enough to cover what’s inside.
- And lastly, put it in your mouth for a happy tummy! And you’re done.
I hope you’ll enjoy this little Samgyeup-sal at home together with your family. Stay safe everyone and keep that tummy happy. Please check out more of our recipes here!