Do you want to be a freelancer? Find out the drawbacks of being a freelancer before getting into this business. Many people are looking at freelancing as one of the best jobs for a stay-at-home parent. With the Coronavirus issue threatening the global workforce, freelancing is the better option. But, do you know that freelancers also get their fair share of disappointments?
What is a freelancer?
According to the Cambridge Dictionary , freelancers are working independently. They usually work for various organizations rather than an employee of a particular one.
What are the most in-demand jobs for freelancers?
- Web Development and Designing
- Teaching and Tutoring
- Freelance Writing and Copywriting
- Creative Design
- Sales and Marketing
- Graphic Designing
- Mobile App Development
- Search Engine Optimization or SEO,
- SEMBranding and Public Relations
- Admin Support or Assistance
- 3D Modelling and CAD
- Game Development
- Web Research
- Legal Services
- Article and Blog Writing
- Customer Service
- Social Media Coordinator and Community Manager
- Logo Design and Illustration
Drawbacks of Being a Freelancer
- You may feel isolated since most of the time you will be working alone.
- You are always on a lookout for new jobs.
- Because you are usually working part-time, your work and income are inconsistent. There is no security of tenure.
- You’ll find yourself juggling between multiple clients.
- Since you are working with multiple clients, you’ll also have multiple bosses to answer to.
- Usually, you won’t have any leaves available nor insurance.
- You don’t have anyone to back you up when you get sick or injured.
- More often than not, you’ll be running every aspect of the business.
- Because you are not really a full-time employee of the organization, you may feel scattered/unfocused.
- Despite your big income, your work can not be admitted as a requirement for getting a loan. This is because your nature of work is inconsistent.
If you still want to be a freelancer, check my guide on how to get started with freelancing in Upwork.